To be approved to drive on the Uber platform in the DMV you need to take the following actions:
- Sign up to drive at http://uber.com
- Consent to a safety screening
- Provide proof of valid driver's license (must be DC, VA, or MD to drive in DC)
- Provide proof of personal insurance (name must be on policy, VIN must match registration)
- Provide proof of vehicle registration (vehicle may be registered in any state)
Once your account is approved, you can pick up riders in DC and drop them off anywhere in the DMV for only 90 days without an inspection, and you can pick up riders in VA and drop them off anywhere in the DMV for only 30 days without an inspection. Local laws require everyone driving with Uber to complete a vehicle inspection to pick up riders in MD.
We recommend the Virginia State safety inspection, since it is the cheapest option and allows you to pick up riders in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. If you choose to get a MD State safety inspection you will only be able to pick up riders in DC and MD (not VA). Learn more about the inspection below.
In addition to the documents required to sign up and the inspection, all partners are required to display the "U Sign" trade dress while operating on the Uber system. We will mail you a "U Sign" after you are approved to drive, but you can also print a temporary one below.