Why become a JUMP Starter?
Being a JUMP Starter lets you make money on your own time. You can do it as much or as little as you'd like, where and when you want. It's a great way to get out into your community, see your city, help increase mobility for your neighbors, and help reduce traffic congestion for us all.
What do I need to get started?
You need to be over 18 years old, have a valid driver's license or government issued identity card, military identification, or passport. You will also need to download the JUMP Starter app to your smartphone running iOS 10, Android 5.0 (aka Lollipop), or higher.
Open the app to register as a JUMP Starter. Have your Social Security Number and bank or debit card account number handy'we need those so you can get paid.
We've found that a couple of optional items are useful:
- A good pair of work gloves can come in handy, especially in cold weather!
- A lightweight, adjustable headlamp can also be helpful
- If you're riding a bike, scooter, or motorcycle, experts believe that safe riding begins with wearing a helmet.
Have more questions? No problem: in the JUMP Starter app's menu, go to Help, and look for your answer there or write us a message.
Where can I get assistance?
For help, you can always open up the JUMP Starter app's menu, go to the Help section, and look for your answer there, write us a message, or give us a call at 800-314-0299.
For the time being, in-person support is only available Austin.
How do I find scooters?
On the home screen, make sure you are in Pickup mode (you can toggle back and forth between Pickup and Dropoff modes at the top of the screen).
Your location is the blue dot. The locations of available scooters near you are marked with icons showing the dollar amount you will earn for a successfully pickup a scooter and return it to the JUMP Warehouse, indicated by the house icon on your JUMP Starter app.. See Payment Terms and Conditions for details on how to receive a full payout.
Tap an icon to see that scooter's information. If you need help navigating to the scooter, click "Navigate." When you reach a scooter, tap "Scan," then scan the QR code on the scooter's handlebars to confirm your pickup.
What do I do if another starter shows up at the same time?
There are plenty of scooters out here for everybody: first come, first served. Please be respectful of fellow JUMP Starters.
Where shouldn't I go to pick up scooters?
- It is best practice to follow the law and avoid doing anything that could be dangerous. In part this means:
- Staying off of private property. If you're not sure if a place is private property, you can assume that it is and stay away.
- Staying out of marked construction zones and secure areas.
- Avoiding places that could be dangerous. If you see a scooter that's hard to reach safely and legally, please send a support message (see above).
- Remember that you've agreed to be responsible for the consequences of your actions while providing JUMP Starter Services.
When can I pick up scooters?
Scooters will be available when the battery level drops to a minimum charge.
How many scooters can I pick up at once?
For now, the limit is 100 scooters at a time. You may only transport those number of scooters that, combined, do not exceed your vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating as specified by your vehicle manufacturer,
Alright, I'm ready to go. Any other pointers?
- GPS may not always be perfect, so scooters may not be exactly where they appear on the map. They should be close (within at most 50 ft.).
- The base of the scooter can spin while it is in the air, so it;s best to remain alert when lifting the scooter. It's best to lift with your legs, rather than your back.
- Don't pick up a scooter that you see in the street but not in the app. Not all scooters are available for recharge at all times. If it's not in the app, you won't be able to scan the scooter for pickup.
What if the scooter's QR code is broken or unreadable?
If the QR code isn't scanning, you can type in the scooter's code manually. The code is 4 to 6 characters (numbers and letters) and it's printed on the handlebars.
Everything looks right, but I still can't pick up the scooter! What do I do?
- Check your phone's connectivity (try switching airplane mode on and off).
- Make sure the scooter says JUMP on it! (Maybe it sounds obvious, but there are a lot of scooters out there.)
- Make sure the scooter is actually available for charge (it shows up on your pickup map with the same ID number as the scooters).
- If the above all looks good but there's still a problem, go ahead and take the scooter and contact support with the scooter's ID number.
When should I put charged scooters back on the street?
7 AM the following morning after they are picked up. For example, if you pick up a scooter at 4 AM on a Monday morning, it needs to be dropped off at the warehouse by 7 AM Tuesday. You may not receive full payment if you do not drop off the scooters in time. Please see the Payment Terms and Conditions for full details.
Where and how do I drop off scooters?
- Toggle to Dropoff mode in the app. You will see all available dropoff locations in your area. Please see the Payment Terms and Conditions for details on how to receive a full payout. Some conditions apply.
- Navigate to your desired dropoff location at the JUMP Warehouse. Note: you won't see any signage or equipment designating a dropoff location.
- Deposit your scooter inside the JUMP zone at the Warehouse (as shown on the map in your app), and be aware of no-parking areas. Make sure you're looking out for others and never leave your scooter on private property, blocking walkways, sidewalks, or accessibility ramps. Always make sure to deposit the scooter in a manner that to provide sufficient right of way to pedestrians, wheelchairs, strollers and similar devices.
- Scan the scooter's QR code.
- You'll see a confirmation that your scooter has been successfully dropped off. Nice going!
How many scooters can I drop off in one location?
Available dropoff locations are updated live in the app.
What if a scooter won't lock when I drop it off?
Contact support with the scooter ID and leave the scooter at the dropoff point. Support will check the scooter and mark it manually as dropped off. Please see the Payment Terms and Conditions for details on how to receive a full payment.
What happens if I drop off a partially charged scooter, or make a late dropoff?
You'll receive a partial payment. Please see the Payment Terms and Conditions for details on how to receive a full payment.
Any other tips for dropping off?
When dropping off, it's best to lift with your legs, rather than your back. The base of the scooter can spin while it is in the air, so it's best to remain alert when lifting the scooter.
How do I get paid?
You'll be paid by direct transfer to the bank/debit card account that you provided when you created your JUMP Starter account. For days during which you provide JUMP Starter Services, payments are made by direct deposit once per day.
How do I update my account information?
You can go to https://partners.uber.com to update your account information, including payout method.