The Driver app includes capabilities for deaf and hard of hearing partners. These features are all completely optional and include:
- Flashing trip request notifications. The app signals a new trip request with a flashing light in addition to the existing audio notification.
- Notifying riders when a driver is deaf or hard of hearing.
- A prompt for the rider's destination. The app will add an extra prompt for riders to enter their destination and lets them know their driver is deaf or hard of hearing.
Once a partner with this setting turned on accepts a ride, the rider will see a prominent screen asking for their destination.
- Turning off calling and using text-only messaging with riders. The ability to call a deaf or hard of hearing driver-partner is turned off for the rider - instead, riders are directed to text their driver if they need to communicate with them.
To enable these features:
1. Tap the profile photo in the upper right corner
2. Select "Account" then "App Settings"
3. Select "Accessibility"
4. Tap "Deaf or hard of hearing"
5. By default, this will enable the setting "Use flash for requests." You can toggle this feature off at the top of the list if you do not want to use it
When you accept a ride request, the rider will be informed that you are deaf or hard of hearing.