Turn on 2-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your account. When 2-step verification is on, you must enter a verification code along with your password every time you sign in to your Uber account.
How to get verification codes
You can get verification codes 2 ways:
- Through text messages from Uber. This requires you to have a phone number on your account.
- Download a security app to generate the codes. You don’t need a phone number on your account for this option.
If you can’t add a phone number in your account settings, contact us for help.
Even if you don’t turn on 2-step verification, Uber may sometimes require it to better protect your account. For example, if you request a copy of your data or wish to delete your account, Uber will ask for a second piece of information to verify your identity.
To turn on 2-step verification:
- Open your Uber app and tap the menu icon at the top left corner.
- Select “Settings,” then “Security.”
- Tap “2-step verification,” then “Set up now.”
- Follow the remaining steps in the app.
To turn off 2-step verification:
Repeat the steps above, but when you get to the “2-step verification” screen, tap “Turn off.”