How does alcohol delivery work?
Sellers must indicate that an ID scan is required for any delivery containing age-restricted items. For Dashboard users, this means selecting the checkbox next to Requires ID Check? when submitting a delivery request containing an age-restricted item.
Setting this delivery requirement tells our system that an age-restricted item is in the basket and ensures a few things:
- The delivery person performing the delivery is 21+
- Once pickup is complete, the delivery person will receive a prompt reminding them that ID verification will be required at dropoff
- Prior to completing dropoff, our app requires an ID scan:
- To determine whether the ID is valid. The identification can be a U.S. driver’s license, passport (U.S. or international), U.S. state ID or U.S. Military ID. The only acceptable non-U.S. IDs are passports. IDs such as library cards, school IDs, or identification without a photo are not acceptable
- The customer’s age is 21+
- The customer is sober. Couriers should check for common signs of intoxication: Impaired reactions and coordination, stumbling, fumbling for their ID, slurred speech
- Proof of delivery (Signature, PIN, Barcode etc)
- If the order is undeliverable, a return delivery will automatically be triggered
Finally, an order is considered undeliverable if the customer:
- Is not present
- Does not have a valid photo ID
- Is under 21
- Appears intoxicated
Note: Unattended delivery is not supportable for orders where ID scan is required. This applies both in the case of no-contact deliveries and in cases of un-deliverability. Regardless of circumstance, if ID scan is required, an ID will need to be scanned and validated in order to hand off goods. Otherwise, the order will necessitate return in full to the pickup location.
Where does Uber facilitate alcohol delivery?
Uber alcohol delivery is live in the following states for Uber Direct partners:
- District of Columbia
- Nebraska (Omaha only)
- New York
^Please reach out to the Direct team for more information on specific requirements
Note: It is the responsibility of the merchant to comply with all applicable alcohol laws, regulations and policies, including as it relates to the sale and service of alcohol products