DRIVER'S INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
You need to maintain automobile liability insurance on all vehicles you operate while driving for Uber with insurance limits equal to or greater than the minimum requirements for the state where you drive.
UBER'S INSURANCE PROGRAM
COVERAGE STARTS THE INSTANT YOU TAP "GO" ON THE UBER APP TO WAIT FOR A RIDE REQUEST
From the time you're online with Uber until you accept a trip, Uber maintains automobile liability coverage on your behalf in amounts of at least:
- $50,000 for the driver's liability for bodily injury per person case of a covered accident
- $100,000 per covered accident
- $25,000 for property damage for which you are responsible for in a covered accident
This policy applies if your personal auto policy does not provide coverage or if your policy's limits are less than these amounts. This policy may also include personal injury protection and/or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage if it is required by law in the state in which you drive.
COVERAGE EN ROUTE TO PICKUP RIDER AND ON TRIP
During an Uber passenger trip you are insured for 3 things in case of a covered accident:
Third-party liability coverage
- Insures bodily injuries or damages you've caused to your riders, people in other -vehicles, pedestrians, or property.
- Coverage limits vary by state but are at least $1,000,000.
Uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage
- Insures you and your riders if an accident occurs on a passenger trip and another driver is at fault and doesn't have sufficient insurance, as well as hit and runs
- Coverage limits vary by state
Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage
- As long as you maintain comprehensive and collision coverage on your personal auto insurance, Uber's insurance will kick in and provide physical damage coverage for your car up to its actual cash value, regardless of who is at fault. There is a $2500 deductible that you must pay first before this coverage applies.
If you're in an accident during this time, you don't need to file a claim with your personal auto policy. You can submit a claim directly from the Uber app or by contacting support.
This policy may also include personal injury protection if it is required by law in the state in which you drive. For more information, please visit the links below.