Turn on 2-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your account. When 2-step verification is on, you must enter a verification code along with your password every time you sign in to your Uber account.
There are 2 ways to get verification codes:
1. Though text messages from Uber. This requires you to have a phone number on your account.
2. Download a security app to generate the codes. You do not need a phone number on your account for this option.
If you're not able to add a phone number in your account settings, contact us through the link below.
Even if you don't turn on 2-step verification, Uber may sometimes require it to better protect your account. For example, if you request a copy of your data or wish to delete your account, Uber will ask for a second piece of information to verify your identity.
TURN ON 2-STEP VERIFICATION
1. Open your Rider app and tap the menu icon at the top left corner
2. Select "Settings," then "Security"
3. Tap "2-step verification," then "Set up now"
4. Follow the remaining steps in the app
TURN OFF 2-STEP VERIFICATION
Repeat the steps above, but when you get to the "2-step verification" screen, tap "Turn off."
WHICH OPTION SHOULD I USE TO GET VERIFICATION CODES?
Uber will send a verification code in a text message to the phone number used to set up 2-step verification. Standard messaging and data rates will apply.
Keep in mind, you may not be able to receive text messages if you're traveling or don't have cell service
Your verification codes are generated by the security app, so you're not required to have a phone number attached to your account.
These apps work offline, so this is a good option if you travel frequently or request rides from different devices than your mobile phone.
WHAT ARE BACKUP CODES?
Backup codes can be used to sign in to your account if you aren't getting verification codes.
We encourage you to save and store your backup codes in a safe place after setting up 2-step verification. If you lose your phone and need to access your account, these codes will help you sign in to your Uber account.
SIGN IN WITH A BACKUP CODE
1. On the screen where you enter the verification code, tap "I'm having trouble"
2. Select "Use backup code" and enter one of your saved backup codes
Backup codes can only be used once. If you use all of your codes and can't sign in to get new codes, you can contact support through the link below.